Thursday, July 18, 2019

Silk Threads

Sorry haven't posted in quite awhile.  Been going through some stuff.

Anyway,  I am taking a class with Kathy Shaw and we are using silk threads.  Here are the threads I am using.



Top Right - Flat Silk from JEC (I get it from California)

Top Left - Soie No 30 made in France (won these at Needle n Thread they can be purchased from Needle in a Haystack)

Bottom Right - Pipers Silk Thread (from England)

Lower Left - have more of these ones.  They come in # 5, #8, and #12.  Made in Switzerland but I can purchase these locally.


My critique

The threads from JEC are very prone to static and somewhat difficult to work with.  They are thicker than the Pipers and do not need to be doubled.  They are supposed to be separable but every time I have tried it wasn't pretty.  Will not purchase these again.

The Soie threads are fantastic to work with but are thicker.  Once I stock up on Pipers will start looking at these, need to find the store again.

Pipers threads are a dream to work with compared to JEC.  They are finer and I have been using them doubled.  I also just placed an order for more of them.

The Swiss threads are also great to work with.  They are twisted so not staticy and the sizes are equivalent to Perle threads in the corresponding weight.  Will over time purchase more of these.


2 comments:

Lin said...

Good to hear from you Sandra. Interesting about the threads. Sorry to hear things have not been so good but send my very best wishes. xx

Susan said...

Thanks for reviewing these, Sandra! I haven't tried all of them, but the Soie I liked. I get a lot from another company, but I'll have to find them and let you know what it is. I like them, and it comes in a thin and a thick version, in little plastic bags, not on spools. I think they are filament, not spun silks, and that makes them stronger. There was another company, a hand dyed thread, that I liked best of all, but she went out of business. Drat! There's Stef-Francis, too, but I have mixed emotions about it. It was great to see a post from you!

Here's one I plan to try. Only sold in sets, and it is filament silk: The Silk Mill